Deciding to stay home!





Hey everyone! Today is a Thursday afternoon and I am writing this post during nap time :) Kanaan is about to be a year old! So crazy! This post is obviously describing my decision to stay home over a year ago, but the reason I have been thinking about it so much lately is because sometimes staying home is hard and this gives me a good reminder!

Okay so just like any pregnant or new mom the decisions that involve your baby can sometimes be consuming! Do I have a natural birth? Will I breastfeed? Should I sleep train? Who will watch my baby? All of these questions combined with a good dose of hormones can make motherhood overwhelming. Well, Aaron had a mom growing up who stayed home and had said that he wanted that for his future family, but we didn't know if we would be able to do it financially. I did not have a mom that stayed home and working was just something that you did. I loved being a teacher and a coach and went through like every scenario in the book where I wasn't putting Kanaan in day care. (disclaimer- I know some moms have kids in great day cares, it just wasn't for me! no judgements!) Anyways, one Sunday, we were at church and I cannot even remember what the sermon was about except that it felt like God was telling me to stay home. I said, okay God, I need you tell Aaron first AND he needs to say it.

On the drive home Aaron and I were talking about the message when all of sudden he says, "Yeah I don't know why, but I feel like the whole thing is about how you're supposed to stay home."

Instant tears. But happy tears. I was so thankful that God had answered my prayer in such a profound way, and so thankful that my husband listens to the whispers of God too.

So we said I was staying home even though we didn't have it all together (finances wise!) We drew up a budget and had a little bit in the red. We had a savings but obviously didn't want to dip into that! Well, we were not prepared for the flood of favor and blessings we would receive from God. TV and internet companies were calling us and dropping our bills. Our security company called and dropped our bill. Aaron got a 13% raise!! I got random checks in the mail (and like $2,000 checks!). God wanted me to stay home.

I knew that I would get to watch and be apart of every milestone. I would get to put him down for every nap. Feed him, cuddle him, love him!

That also meant that I would be putting him down for every nap, feeding him, changing all the diapers, etc. You can look at it both ways! 😜

I know staying home isn't in the cards for everyone, but I am so so thankful that it is my path. It has challenged me more than I could have imagined. It has stretched me. It has removed some of the shreds of selfishness that I still have to work through sometimes. I love it. I love saying I get to stay home with Kanaan! 💗

Comments

Popular Posts