Kanaan's birth story

I am writing this a year later! I should have done it right away, but I hope that there aren't too many hazy spots! (: PS This is a really long post!


Okay, so Saturday, April 16th I had a soccer game that I was coaching at. That morning I had some signs of pre-labor and was having some stronger contractions so I knew it was coming close. I was freaking out because Aaron was at a Thunder game working (he used to be a ball boy 😁) and I wouldn't be able to get ahold of him if I did actually go into labor. Well the soccer game went great and I told the girls, "I'm having this baby." I don't know if anyone took me seriously lol but I just knew.

That night I watched the Thunder game while strolling on the elliptical. I knew walking would progress labor and it seemed to keep my mind off of things. Well the game of course went to like double overtime and so I went to bed before Aaron got home. At 3:30 in the morning I woke up to some serious contractions. It was time. I nudged Aaron. "Babe, I am going into labor" Well, since he didn't get home until like 1:30, he was exhausted! He said, "Kenzie, this better be for real and I don't think it is." HAHA! Its funny now, but was definitely not funny then!

Okay, well let me backtrack for a second. Aaron and I had planned on a natural childbirth without medication. We had taken Bradley Method (husband coached birthing) classes and so his role during labor was actually pretty vital! We planned to labor at home as long as we could and then would head in to the hospital. I was using a certified nurse midwife at the hospital (and LOVED it by the way).

Okay so Aaron helped me get into my 30 min of active labor alternating with 30 minutes of resting labor. I would walk around the living room for 30 min and listened to worship music while I would breathe through the contractions. I started to get horrible back labor and so during resting labor, I would sit in a chair and Aaron would push against my knees (amazing relief) or press on my lower back. Things were progressing so we grabbed our bags and went to the hospital around 9:45.

It was about 10:45 by the time we got there and I was super bummed because in triage they would not admit me because I was only dilated to a three. I was also 10 days early and the hospital I was at didn't like admitting people until closer to a 5. She said we could walk around the lobby for an hour and come back to check. So we walked around the lobby, I was looking as crazy and grungy as ever as people stared at the pregnant lady in labor. Aaron and I would do this swaying hips move and he would press on my lower back and I would listen to Kari Jobe and he would force me to chew on some ice.

An hour went by and we went back to triage. By this time it was about 12:30. She checked and I had only progressed to a four. I was starting to feel super defeated and that maybe I was not going to have this baby today. She said, okay one more hour of walking and if you aren't further I am sending you home.

We went back out to walk around and I could barely do it. Aaron was determined that I needed to eat and force fed me a granola bar which I proceeded to throw up all over the hallways. I started panicking and saying if I could barely handle a four that I need an epidural now. Aaron was trained in how to respond to such requests and calmly told me that I couldn't get one because we were in the lobby. Little did I know that he was doubting my abilities somewhat too. I lasted 30 min and then I really started freaking out because I could barely handle the contractions. I started saying "I have to go back to that room right now."

We went back and i just laid there until all the sudden I had an urge to push. Uncontrollable urge. I did and my water broke. Aaron thought I pooped myself 😂 and said "It's okay babe. I heard that happens. You don't need to be embarrassed." I screamed "no my water broke call that nurse!"

I told them I am having this baby right now. She looked and said uh, yes you are. And sure enough she started to panic and screamed for a bed and midwife. They admitted me at 1:40 and wheeled me to a room while telling me not to push. Which was impossible. They had to give me Oxygen and I wanted to deliver side lying because I knew it was better for my body than my back and my back just hurt too bad. Aaron had to help hoist my leg up, and I pushed and delivered Kanaan at 2:11 in the afternoon on Sunday, April 17th 2016. Kanaan weighed 7.1 lbs and was 19 3/4 inches long.

He is truly the biggest blessing and gift I could ever have. Every once of pain in labor is worth it when you get to become a mother. The love is completely indescribable. 💙








Comments

Popular Posts